Lanehouse Church was started in 1953 in a local Factory dining room by a group of Methodist members who had got together and canvassed the local houses and housing estates. A local Methodist Farming Family, the Bartletts, gave the corner plot of land on which the Church was built. It started initially with a wooden hut, which was used for several years with various fund raising items towards a brick built "home" with some donations where possible.
A very healthy Sunday School was instrumental in raising much money, the highlight being the annual "May Queen Festival". A very healthy "Sisterhood" group was also a big part of the life of the new Church.
The new brick building, replacing the old wooden hut was opened in April of 1968 and continued to be very well supported. A "Young Wives" group was started, and well supported for several years. The original brick building was soon too small for the growing activities of the new Church, especially the activities of the Sunday School and young people, so an extension was added in June of 1972 to include two toilets and give more space.
"Young Wives" husbands had job moves, "Sisterhood" members became old and housebound, and many young people had other activities on Sunday mornings, so by degrees the numbers for all these Church groups dwindled.
There is still a devoted faithfull membership of old friends in spite of the passing of members, 5 in 2017.
We now have a Circuit Christingle Service on Christmas eve at Lanehouse, Coffee and Pancakes every Shrove Tuesday.
We continue to be able to make our contribution to various Circuit and District Funds.
Registered Charity No. 1150182
Revd John Yarrien
Mrs. Maria Jacobson
Mrs. Jacqui Trent